Sunday, August 23, 2009

identity crisis revisited in my dreams



last night i dreamed that i had a show and was at the gallery setting up. there were several artists showing in the space. we each had our own little area to exhibit our work. i was unpacking my work, only to realize it wasn't my work at all. i looked at it and thought, 'ah well, close enough', and began to hang the work. as i started to arrange it i realized there were 2 pieces that had several parts to them. the paintings were like a puzzle of various sized canvases that all fit together somehow. the gallery director was walking by looking at me while i obviously had no idea how to put "my own" work together. i realized that i'd better go home and get my own paintings when the director asked me a couple of questions about the work and i didn't even know how to talk about it.

i started heading home when i saw other artists from the show lining up in some yard and figured i'd better do the same. i was thinking of how soon i'd be home and i'd get this all sorted out with the work, and i'd get to see peanut (my daughter) too. it is still very rare that i spend a couple of hours away from her. i was missing her so much. thinking about all this, i sat on a chair in this line up. my legs were apart and i was wearing a short skirt with no underwear. the director spotted me, and i ran to my car in embarrassment.

the end.

p.s. s, we are so in sync, no?

1 comment:

  1. as if trying to sort out real life weren't complicated enough!

    i love the 'ah well, close enough'. wait, maybe i should get in that line... dream language and sleep deprivation are almost the same thing, or at least make you equally coherent.

    ReplyDelete