Sunday, November 29, 2009

Marathon Nursing

My daughter is 14 months old and still has no interest in drinking from anything other than me. While I have been a committed breast-feeder, and never imagined I'd have weaned her at this age, I'm having some issues with how it's taking its toll.

I am one of these women who seems to hang on to 10 or so extra pounds of blubber while nursing. (At least I'm hoping that is the culprit!) I eat well, I exercise regularly, and I have always been slim and healthy. In fact, I have had more issues in the past with keeping weight on than the other way around. So while I indulged in a few extra cups of heavenly gelato during my pregnancy, I really didn't go overboard, and feel that this fatty layer hanging on me isn't making sense. I gained about 25 -30 pounds, most of which was baby and water. And once all of that was gone, it seems as though at times I breastfeed more (when my daughter is sick, or having a growth spurt, etc.) the more jiggly I become. And when we're finally having some luck with the sippy cup, and I'm not forced to be the full time milk-machine, I slim down.

I have tried so many different vessels to feed this kid from. We're talking every kind of straw cup, bottles, hard spouts, squishy spouts, plain old fashioned regular drinking cups, cups and bottles that look like breasts, feel like breasts, cups with the coolest most colourful illustrations, plain cups, etc. I could go on and on. We have quite the collection, and she's not interested in it at all.

And not only have I tried every vessel under the sun, I have tried every juice, milk, smoothie concoction as well. The kid knows what she wants.

So aside from my thinking that I am never going to feel good about my body until I stop breastfeeding, I also can never stray very far and am feeling ready to embrace a bit more freedom in my life. And I can't forget to mention the fact that my nipples are cracked and blistered yet again. Aw, it takes me right back to the early days when my peanut was 6 and a half pounds and devouring my poor virgin breastfeeding nipples. Fond memories, I tell you!

So, this brings me to the subject of my feeling selfish in considering weaning. I feel as though my daughter will never drink from another source until she is presented with no other choice. I'm exhausted. I'm fat. I need a break!

I really would like to continue breastfeeding until she self weans, but it seems that this is a bit of an extreme breastfeeding scenario. I want to do the right thing. I want to give her a sense of security in making the decision herself as to when she's ready to move on from this cuddly feeding relationship. Plus it's winter here, we all just got over H1N1, and I'm sure other flu's and colds will make their way through our systems this season. When she's sick, breast milk is the best thing for her. I am convinced that she would have ended up in the hospital with H1N1 had it not been for breastmilk. She wouldn't eat anything else.

Having said all this, and with all of these feelings of guilt and fear of being a bad mother, should I assume that I am just as not ready as my daughter is to wean?

2 comments:

  1. well, i don't know if this is good news or bad news, but at least with my little guys, at this age it has nothing to do anymore with accepting a bottle or a sippy cup. neither of mine ever did either, except for some water, eventually. the monkey is now 3 and a half and still won't drink milk. i went back to work when he was a year old, and that was the end of him nursing during the day, but even then he didn't start taking milk.

    so now, with my 15-month-old monkey, i take that to mean that he's old enough to go without nursing for large chunks of the day if i'm away. unfortunately, i can't enforce that if i'm around, because i would LOVE to just take a day (or a NIGHT, PLEASE!) off of nursing now and then, but if i'm around he just nurses all the time. i've only left him for a max of about 5 hours, twice, and he was just fine and his world did not fall apart. (i need to start doing this MORE.)

    i think that i'm saying that you should make your to-wean-or-not-to-wean decision independently of whether she accepts an alternative. she'll drink water if she's thirsty, and get calcium from all the yogurt and cheese and other goodies you give her. and she'll still get her mama cuddles and bonding too. OR, if you just want to nurse less, then maybe you need some more time away from the little one, when she can't be climbing on to your boobies all day long.

    to make this comment even longer and more rambling: i don't want to end my nursing relationship with the monkey yet, even though it drives me crazy a lot of the time. it still is a magic bullet for sleeping and sickness and boo-boos, and i know i would miss it a lot. when that equation shifts for me a bit, then maybe i'll wean him, but i hope he'll be ready first. i am DEFINITELY ready for some night-time weaning, but that is a whole other topic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your newest follower. Please follow me back at www.sparklingadventures.com. Thanks!

    Love, Lauren (in Australia)

    ReplyDelete